Pages

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Beer Cheese Soup and Bargains

I wish that you could shop online at H&M.


I understand why you CANNOT shop on line at TJ MAXX and Tuesday Morning, because they are meant to be treasure hunts.  You are supposed to wave your arms in the air in victory when you find a BCBG top for $15.


Latest find at the Teej:  Flat brown knee high riding boots for $50 (sweet)
Latest find at the A.M.:  A tree topper for John's Christmas tree:  $4



I also, for the 2nd time in my life, got something at Diplomat Deli that I didn't just LOVE.  I went with The Senator today, turkey breast, crisp bacon, havarti cheese, sliced egg, tomato, sprouts, thousand island, mayo on wheat bread (taken directly from my menu).  I think it was a combo of the sprouts, thousand island, and wheat bread that took me down.  Let's face it, wheat bread just doesn't taste as good as white bread (in my mouth at least).  The only other thing I didn't love was the beer cheese soup.  Jessica and I had a bowl of that last year, and it really has a distinctive beer taste ( I know you are thinking, well DUH).  We were all like, what's up with this, because we love both cheese and beer, but together, it was weird.  Not gross, but weird, and we wondered if you should be allowed to eat beer cheese soup at lunch and return to work.  Top favorites at the Dip ( I go at least twice a week, minimum):  The Estate (chicken salad on WHITE), the chili (AMAZING), and the Embassy (Italian cappacaolla ham w/ tons of peppers, SPICY).  I think in a perfect world I own a TJ MAXX, Diplomat Deli, and an antique mall full of delightful trinkets.  

That's all I got today, if you do like beer cheese soup, or you live somewhere that doesn't have beer cheese soup, try this out for size:

Beer Cheese Soup (as taken from http://allrecipes.com)


Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon margarine
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle light beer
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 cups half-and-half
  • 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

Directions

  1. Melt the butter or margarine in a 4 1/2 quart soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and Worcestershire sauce and stir well. Add the beer and raise the heat to high and boil for 3 minutes to evaporate the alcohol. Add the chicken broth and bring the soup back to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer.
  2. Combine the cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water and stir until smooth. Set aside.
  3. Add the half-and-half and shredded cheese to the soup. Stir constantly until the cheese melts. Then stir in the cornstarch mixture. Stir constantly until the soup is thick, about 2 minutes. Serve garnished with bacon bits.
 Maybe it's contradictory to provide a recipe for something I don't like. 

1 comment:

Hillary said...

i loved the beer cheese soup! You must crumble crackers in it.