Pages

Friday, March 7, 2014

Of Points, Pickles, and Progress


Christmas 2013

Point Howell

I decided yesterday I miss blogging. I began to pen a weekly newspaper column documenting life in the small southern town of Alexander City, Alabama on Lake Martin in early 2012.

I was fulfilling my writing aspirations and was soon fully immersed in my new-again community. I quite blogging but took up a healthy appetite for Instagram and even Twitter. No long winded recap is necessary...but for my purposes I should attempt to build a half hearted bridge to cover the lapse in time here.

2013

John and I finally sold our house in Birmingham in spring '13. It was on the market for almost a year and we both had new jobs in Alex City. The process was grueling and it was with a collective sigh of relief (from us, family and friends alike) when we were able to begin our house hunt on Lake Martin.



You really learn a lot about each other's tastes when house hunting. I quickly realized I was going to live in a cabin that may or may not have a washer and dryer--so I began to focus on where I would attain the best tan.



I am not tanning in the above picture. It has been a long winter!

We knew we were home when we got to Point Windy. Our point was dubbed Point Howell the first time I laid eyes on it. I could see the party there. Our little cinder block cabin is a Before/After blog post dream. We have a long way to go, but we have done SO much. John has done so much really. I mostly just paint. And send him Pinterest links.



2013 was a great summer. We bought an ancient seaworthy pontoon and had the most epic Memorial Day of all time. No one had more fun than Mona! My friends and I learned that '98 Playbouys will in fact run off of weedeater mix much to John's dismay.

1st day Wickles Pickles

And then Wickles Pickles came calling in early fall. Don't all little girls grow up wanting to work for a pickle company?! Life is funny--and I am having so much fun. Working on a Wickles blog too.


Wickles Pickles has true fans--and OKRA is a cult classic. The love people have for these products is fanatical in nature and so much dang fun to witness. I am loving getting to do a bit of traveling again and meeting new people in new places. How hip is that label?


December '13 brought a new edition to the Howell fam! John and I have a beautiful new niece, Isla Grace Gilliland. She is a doll baby and Hadley and Kris are the best parents. Can't wait to teach her how to do cannonballs this summer.


Whew! I'll wrap it up. Mona is ovva it. 

Later,

-LH





3 comments:

jane said...

Yay, So glad the Blog is back. Your Outlook fans will be so excited!!!

Katie Beth Owens said...

So happy to see this as well! XoXo

Unknown said...

Oh happy day, cant wait to read more...