If I could have my way, I'd hop on a plane this morning and go take my picture in front of the Rockefeller Christmas tree. This year's tree is a Norway Spruce from Easton, Connecticut, and it is 76 feet tall.
The tradition of lighting a tree in Rockefeller Center began during the Depression era construction of Rockefeller Center, when workers decorated a small balsam fir tree with "strings of cranberries, garlands of paper, and even a few tin cans" on Christmas Eve, 1931.
When the tree is removed each year, it is recycled in some form or fashion. For example, the 2007 tree was used as lumber for a Habitat for Humanity house. I actually got to see that tree, because John and I were visiting Brittany and George in New York that year.


1 comment:
Kris and I just went to go see the tree at 30 Rock on Saturday! It was a beauty!!
Post a Comment