Pages

Monday, October 20, 2008

A "Model" Weekend: Part I

I can assure you that all of my weekends are great. There is no way for me to have a bad weekend, first and foremost because I am not at work. The best weekend of all time, in mine and Bess's opinion, is still the weekend that we laid on the couch for 2 days and went to bed before ten every night. This may sound lame to some, but I view it as a coming of age event! Everyone has to refuel sometimes. However, this past weekend was a great one as well.

John took a leave of absence as "Lacey's ever present partner in crime" to partake in a testosterone fueled weekend in Tuscaloosa, which was probably long overdue for him. I agreed to baby-sit Mona and lovingly sent him on his merry way. Bess was coming home from Memphis to study for CPA exams all weekend and her boyfriend was also skipping town for Ttown. I had agreed to not peer pressure her into not studying, so I took this opportunity to catch up with Marye Beasley, Ewood, and Emory. We had dinner at Mofiaso's (don't know how to spell it or pronounce it correctly, I have badgered it all weekend while telling others how good it was) and then a few drinks downtown. It was great catching up with those girls! Having been out of town a good bit, I have been slacking in the friendship department. I even popped out of bed the next morning for more Marye and Emory time and met them for breakfast at Bouge's (another new restaurant for me), along with MB's boy toy, Richard, who I think is the coolest thing since sliced bread. (*Side note--why won't bread companies sale bread in half loaves, for the single folks of the world? I never eat a whole loaf without having to throw it away).

After breakfast, and our rude waitress, I took Mona for a jog, which rapidly turned into a walk for several reasons. One, my stomach was upset from my omelet, and two, Mona likes to great everyone that passes us on the Samford jogging trail and had proceeded to nearly rip my shoulder out of socket and almost trip me several times. It was good though, we walked five miles and my butt is still sore today, which means I need to walk five miles more often.

After this, it was time to do a little beautifying. I was set to model on Sunday (more on this odd occurrence in a moment) so I needed a spray tan. New, unchartered territory for me, as I do enjoy the tanning bed and my Banana Boat self tanner. I knew that I could either do the spray booth or let someone spray me by hand. I was apprehensive about the spray by hand method, being a rather modest person and the fact that they wanted to charge me $65 (yeah freakin' right Tan Zone). I concluded that I was not entirely comfortable with letting a stranger spray down my naked body. I went with the spray booth option. I made the girl explain it to me twice. How to rub the lotion on, how to wave my hand in front of the sensor to open and close the door, and how to stand on the metal plate. It was not rocket science so I stripped down and put my shower cap on. It did not take long at all, but I did open my mouth to take a breath during it (I'm a little nasally right now), which I had been warned not to do, and just so you know, spray tan does NOT taste good.

I then had my purple nail polish removed and replaced with a more natural polish and headed off to the Summit for some retail therapy. I then got a phone call from my dear friend, Jessica Toland. She was calling to inform me she was heading to Birmingham for some "Lacey time" and wanted to know just what we were going to do. (She too, had been abandoned by her boyfriend, it was trend this weekend!) Something, I told her, we'll do something! I immediately quit shopping and go buy beer.

Jessica and I had a date night--and it had been awhile since we'd had a date night. If you have not read the blog entry about Jessica, then you do not know that our date nights are usually pretty interesting. We took our time getting dressed and made sure to distract Bess from studying for a good two hours or so. We went to Chez Lulu's and split a pizza, drank half of a pitiful excuse for a Gimlet (no one does it like Juliano Tokio's!), and finally returned back to beer. We made friends with the Cuban guy in the band, Sergio. Sergio could not believe our boyfriends had left two beautiful girls alone on a Saturday night, and proceeded to tell us we are like beautiful flowers and that he loves and respect women because they give life. It was very deep and Jessica and I are eating this up and jokingly telling him our gardens are full of weeds and in bad need of pruning. Sergio then shows us pictures of his daughter, in Cuba, and then tries to talk us into going to Workplay for salsa dancing. Jessica and I promptly pay our checks and decide Workplay probably is not the best idea. I get the band's card, telling them we have friends getting married, parties to throw; etc and that I'll be in touch.

Where to now? At the point where we didn't want to go booty dance or do anything super strenuous, we opt for a night cap at the Wine Loft. I have probably said I wanted to go there a million times, usually when I am walking in Newk's for a sandwich, so we went for it. It was a great atmosphere, dim lights, big couches. We settled in, completely tickled at ourselves for being so romantic on our date night and proclaim that we are like lesbians, without the sex part. Dear god, right!? An Asian couple come in with their baby and diaper bag and this confuses us. We caught up on life, sipped our wine, and finally decided to call it a night. All in all, great night!

No comments: