
I will begin with the disclaimer that I tend to get over excited about small things, or things that would not really be considered a big deal to anyone else. My Monday had gotten off to pretty rotten beginning. I had been up since 5am, decided to let my hair air dry to save time, and even arrived at the airport in time to grab a biscuit. My plane is then delayed an hour, due to the rain, and by the time I made it to Atlanta, I had missed my connecting flight to Raleigh, NC. I was ill and cold from my wet head. I managed to get a seat on the next flight out, thank goodness, and it was a seat that would have been WAY in the back, 32 something I believe. I was drowning in self pity and called my parents to whine, only to discover they were getting to sleep in late on a MONDAY! I could not even talk to them at that point.
Once my ticket was scanned and I was about to take off down the plank, the stewardess stopped me and handed me another ticket stub that was labeled 1A. I stared at it and her in confusion. WHAT? First class? Me? I was a bit confused, but I felt that I needed to play it cool and act like this sort of thing happened to me all the time. Once I got on the plane, I felt I needed some clarification. I held out both of my ticket stubs to the next stewardess questionably, because there must have beens some mistake. She smiled a big, brightly painted pink smile at me and informed that I had received an automatic upgrade. Oh, ok, I thought, still rather confused. I sat down in my big roomy seat and pulled out my original ticket to inspect it a bit more closely. I then realized that, sometime in the past month with all of this weekly traveling, I had become a Delta Silver Medallion member (which I think means you have to travel 60,000 miles in one year's time or something). How about that, I thought to myself. I was very proud at this point, sitting in first class, and I wanted to tell someone about it. I looked over at the old man beside me, who had probably been a medallion member for a million years, but he was already asleep, and he probably would have been overwhelmed by me anyway. I sent a few text messages, and got a few impressed replies, but I knew there was one person who would truly appreciate my moment of glory, and that was my boss, Ben. I sent him an email, bragging about my first automatic upgrade, and he was oh so very proud! He said that it was hard to go back to coach after that! I considered that as I looked around the cabin and decided that that was probably true, although I am usually plenty comfortable in coach, unless I'm sandwiched in between two people a lot bigger than me. The seats WERE wider up there and you got free drinks as well. That thought came to me and I felt a rush of excitement until I remembered it was still early morning flight. I could not take advantage of that, sadly, but it was still cool. I took the Sun Chips they offered me instead. All I could think about was that Fergie song, Glamorous, and the line that starts off "Flying first class, up in the sky,..." Haha!
On my flight back, however, I was in coach for the first leg, and got stuck on an exit row, which has one arm rest if you are in the window seat (where I was, of course). Don't you know that the guy who sat down beside me took my ONE arm rest, and his, AND had the worst B.O. ever? I was highly upset, and glared at him mercilessly once he fell asleep. In Atlanta, thankfully, I got my automatic upgrade to Birmingham, and as I settled down in my comfy chair and ordered a chardonnay, I had to admit that I could get used to this!
No comments:
Post a Comment