Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

House Update

In the past several weeks, John and I tackled some projects around the house, which included painting the bathroom and the office.  Now that I will be working from home on a pretty regular basis, I felt that we needed to make the office user friendly.

When John first bought the house, we applauded all the neutral colors in it because they were not overwhelming and you could move right on in.  We didn't have to deal with ripping down weird old lady wall paper or anything like that.

However, flash forward a year and some change, and all of sudden all of those neutrals became boring and it was kind of depressing because it made the house seem really dark.  I like bold color, and the way the house sits, it doesn't get a lot of natural light in some areas.

BATHROOM BEFORE


Blah Beige-including blah beige ceiling.  Just not living up to it's potential.



I love reading all of the design blogs, and have loved the black room trend for awhile.  It's super dramatic and I like it best with white accents such as crown molding or white tiles/beadboard.  I realize I mentioned our lack of natural light-but not in regards to the bathroom (definitely the office). 


The ceiling is a light light grey.





TA DA! I love it.  I'm in Los Angeles, and I don't remember what the acutal color was.  It was Behr brand and semi gloss.

THE OFFICE

The "before" pictures of the office are on my other computer, I'll try to add them later, but take my word for it when I say icky blah blue/grey.  Not work friendly!  I began the room on my own on a Friday.  It took 2+coats to get the yellow down over the ickly blah-ness.  By the time John found me, I was covered in yellow paint, my right arm wanted to fall off, and I was slightly high on paint fumes.  Luckily, he did all the trim touch ups.  I had nothing left.



A bright mustard yellow totally jazzed up the space.  John and I both enjoy hanging out in here more now.  The zebra rug was my Christmas gift from the Howells and I looove it!  To the right of this picture is an extra dresser for myself...but I didn't include it because it doesn't really go with "the office" vibe.  A girl has to store her stuff somewhere right? 

I was initially scared of that huge desk.  It was up for grabs at John's place of employment.  It took 3 guys to get it in our house.  I'm grateful for it now because it holds all of our personal things with room on the whole left side for my work files.  And it was free=Bonus points! 


Painting is hard work, but the quickest way to change up a look! 

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I'm loving the makeovers!! The black is so "design blog" cool and the yellow really makes the office come alive! Way to work it out!

Addie Lamberth said...

Looks great Lacey!

Linda said...

Love the new looks Lacey & John. Job well done by all involved in the projects.

Jazzy E (Hivenn) said...

So lovely. x hivennn