Pages

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Bumper Stickers

It takes me about seven minutes to drive to work each morning down 31. I would like to mention, as a side note, that I pass Brittany and George's "Love Spot," as John and I like to call it, everyday on the way to work. It is the little white Gazebo that overlooks Vestavia, right off 31, and it just tickles me and makes me think about them everyday about 7 am.

Today I was at a red light and got behind a silver Hyundai, I'm not sure what it was, but it looked similar to those Outback station wagons. It caught my eye because the license plate was hanging on by two nails, there was an Obama sticker on the back bumper, a rainbow flag, and another bumper sticker that said "Be the Change You Want to See in the World." The driver had one arm slung lazily out the window and was brushing their hair with the other hand. I don't know if it was a girl or boy.

It's funny how you could make an assortment of assumptions about the driver, most of them probably accurate, just by looking at his bumper stickers. I am fascinated by people making a statement, regardless of what kind of statement they are making, and the different ways in which they make their statement. This person, you see, was using their car as a medium to express the fact that they are supporting the Democratic party and gay rights. The rainbow flag does not necessarily mean that the driver was gay. The other sticker, about Change, suggests that this person could be an activist, globally aware, and I would bet his/her Facebook page is green. The crooked licensed plate probably suggests carefree, even lazy, but perhaps it got loose on that person's way to where ever they were headed this morning.

All of this prompted me to think about the political climate in the country at the moment, and how much I really did like that bumper sticker: BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN THE WORLD. It really doesn't matter who you vote for, just VOTE. It doesn't matter what a person's opinion is, but I think it is important to have an opinion. It certainly does not only apply to politics, but in everyday life. By opening you minds and hearts to the world and its issues, you are setting an example. Perhaps you don't have to advertise your views the way the person driving the silver Hyundai was this morning, but I thought it was pretty GrOoVy that they were!

Peace out ;)

No comments: