I have done a life inventory of all my friends and family as of late, and it appears that everyone is currently experiencing or undergoing some form of intense family drama, relationship crisis, death, life change, or for lack of a better term, a transition of sorts. I made the comment the other day to a friend that I am SO incredibly ready for life to just go back to normal. Alley Jackson's blog referenced normalcy last week as well, or lack thereof, and that only cements my conclusion that there is currently some heavy stuff going on in the neighborhood, and whether it is good or bad is a matter of opinion.
I am afraid to admit that the normalcy of yesteryear is quite gone, and I do not say this to alarm anyone. I think "normal" transitions after college, or at about age 20, and then again at midlife, or about age 50. That is because when you are in your twenties, you are working for the first time, getting married, and maybe having kids. There are a lot of overwhelming firsts. For the middle agers, I think about their transition from child to caretaker for their elderly parents being a harsh stab in the heart of normalcy. I have at least three friends who have lost a grandparent in the past month and just about everyone else is experiencing a grandparent's failing health. All anyone can do is embrace it and simply show up. Sometimes I believe that is the single most important characteristic of being a family: Showing up. It is not always what you say, but simply your presence that makes a huge difference.
I am trying everyday to embrace the good in life and accept things that I cannot change. I am making a conscious effort to be as optimistic as possible, because someone has to be, while maintaining a "glass half full" mentality. Don't ever let anyone tell you that things can't get any worse, because BELIEVE me-they always can! You simply must "go with it," as Jessica likes to say. I fully agree with the philosophy that a person controls their own happiness and it is of your own free will that you determine your life view on things. I know that I am luckier than most and I am happy with my life, for all its oddities and imperfections. I realize that we only get one shot at this thing they coined life, and we might as well laugh our ass off all the way through, because in 100 years, or less actually, it is not going to matter anyway.
Everyone needs to find a few reasons to laugh today... I think we all need it. If anything, go look at that "Tattoo" email I sent yesterday one more time!
1 comment:
Normal I have decided is overrated! Love you and wish I was going to see you this weekend!
Post a Comment