Pages

Friday, December 5, 2008

~DrEaM HoUsE~


I got this blog topic off the One Minute Writer last week and jotted down a few ideas and specifics in regards to my "Dream House" and then abandoned the post for a few days. John and I went in Lowe's on Sunday, because it is his favorite store in the world, and as we wandered around I just kept thinking how PAINSTAKING it must be to build a house. I think I said that aloud and commented that I would probably be too impatient to have to pick out ever single detail that went into building a house! All the light fixtures, appliances, door knobs, carpet...while fun, it certainly seemed like a daunting task. Not to mention the months it takes to build. I would probably really have a hard time with that! I think I could find one already built that I liked just fine. I've thought about it a little more the past few days, because I liked this blog topic, and I am torn between Spanish/Mediterranean style homes and a large, rambling 100 year old brick home with a Georgia Plantation feel to it. I do love old stuff!

My hypothetical dream house would at least consist of the following:

-It sits on a few acres, or maybe a lot of acres, so I could have a few horses. However, I wouldn't want my permanent, home base to be so far away that no one wanted to ride over and visit.

-No matter what style the house was, it would need a very defined porch area. Either a huge front porch, or one of those cute little side ones with sitting areas. I am also a fan of the screened in porch.

-A HUGE kitchen, because I feel that is where most people congregate and hang out, or at least that has always been the case at the Shaffer home. It is where you eat and drink and make merry. I would want it to have a warm and energetic feel to it. I think the walls would be red, or a deep turquoise/green color. My appliances stainless steel. There would be a huge island in the center from which to cook and assemble on. A long bar counter with antique bar stools. A mix of modern and old. Big windows. A breakfast nook that contained a table for at least six. I would also have the cool copper cooking utensils hanging from the ceiling over the island, because that just looks cool to me. Mexican tile floors.

-A large and open DEN/FAMILY room. I would have big, comfy couches. Everything in this room is touchable and defines comfort. I hate going into someone's house and feeling like I can't sit on the sofa. A big fireplace.

-DINNING ROOM: I don't really want a VERY formal dining room...I want all the rooms in my house to be usable and somewhere you aren't afraid to put your feet up in. I do want a big dining room table that stretches the length of the room, that seats maybe 10 or 12 people.

-I want a fancy bar area SOMEWHERE for entertaining, a pool table.

-WINE CELLAR

-AN OUTSIDE KITCHEN-all stone--once again we are eating here! Around my pool & hot tub! I love the pools and hot tubs that are stone and look natural. Lots of flowers and plants and a palm tree. I love palm trees because I love the beach.

-MASTERBEDROOM: Large enough for a king size bed...lots of storage room. Big bathroom with big counters so I can strew my stuff everywhere and not knock it over. I would have a deep tub because I get really frustrated when I take a bath and can't get my whole body under the water. I alternate between the modern jacuzzi type tub and an antique claw footed tub, so I'll probably have both in the house. There is something so romantic about claw footed tubs. Walk in closet, of course.

-Since this is a DREAM HOUSE, and very unattainable for several decades, 1 bedroom/kid + a guest bedroom.

-My LIBRARY: This would be my favorite room without a doubt. And ALL mine. 3 walls of bookshelves, high ceilings, the ladder that rolls around the room. The 4th wall would be a window and have the best view in the house. I want an antique desk to write on and house my computer. I want one of those fancy chaise lounges to lay on and read. I always lay on them in furniture stores and my Mom tells me I'll have to have a fancy house someday for one of those to be appropriate! Ha Ha! Some chairs for visitors...maybe a leather couch. A beautiful antique globe. DARK maghoney wood everywhere. A big oriental rug...very traditional/English vibe.

GARAGE- Four car probably!

I think that covers the main points!

xoxo

No comments: