Pages

Monday, December 29, 2008

Kids Today are Totally Shocking


2009 is fast approaching and as I examine the world around me as it is, I have a hard time believing that it is better than the world I inhabited as a child. I realize most adults will say this, and it saddens me to think I've joined that group, but two incidents involving children this week have provoked my thought process regarding this subject.

If you have read the post regarding babies, you know that I do not have a lot of experience with them. Well, for every baby I have not been around in the past ten years that also includes young children as well. I'm sorry, there just aren't any babies in my family right now, and my youngest cousins live on the other side of the country. Therefore, I am awkward! Anyhoo-I attended a party with John the day after the Christmas and there were several young children there. One little girl was particularly cute, and I like cute kids, so I attempted to make conversation with her. I went with the classic: "What did you get for Christmas?" She responded with "American Girl doll." This was something I could relate to! I had three of those growing up. I told her which ones I had, and she had gotten the one that looked like her and I told her that was super cool. Then I told her how I still have mine and that she should take good care of them and save the boxes because she'd be glad she had them when she was my age! Blank stare. Then she ran off. I realized that I sounded like an old fart and that little girl probably wanted to eventually play hairstylist with her doll and give it the Suri bob. I talk to children like they are little adults and it often produces awkwardness. I laughed it off and moved back over to the adult conversation and my glass of wine. Flash forward 15 minutes and now half the party is taking a hike down by the river and John and I find ourselves walking between the group of children. The same little girl who got an American girl doll for Christmas looks over at us and announces: "GOSH-everyone sure is burning some calories on this walk!" I stare at her. She is all of six, maybe. John and I meet eyes, slightly alarmed that the child even knows what calories ARE. "Well, maybe the adults are, but kids don't have to worry about calories," I responded in what I hoped was a stern voice. She laughed and sprang lightly away down the path.

Honestly, I don't think I knew what calories were until Health class in fifth grade or something. John and I were still in shock that kids that young knew what calories were and that walking was burning them off. I think kids today are feeling a lot more pressure in regards to their appearance and body image than my generation did. I was a chubby kid, but never knew I was chubby until after the fact, when I no longer was. There was none of that Limited Too/trendy nonsense in my closet. I dressed like a little kid until 7th grade. I guess now is the part where I blame it on the media, the internet, and Miley Cyrus.

The next incident occurred when I was walking (and hopefully, burning A LOT OF CALORIES) around my neighborhood. I saw two young boys on their bikes approaching me. They were not older than ten, and maybe younger than that. They were pedaling as fast as they could, their shaggy hair blowing back of their foreheads and they were totally sweaty. This made me smile. Kids being kids for once! Outside, enjoying the one sunny day we've had in forever instead of sitting down in front of the new Wi they had received for Christmas. They passed me, and then I met them again on the other side of the loop. Now the little boys have slowed down some and to my horror, one of the little boys is pedaling and TEXTING at the same time! #1, that is dangerous, what if he is doing that when a car is coming and he pedals headfirst into a car? #2, WHY DOES HE EVEN OWN A CELL PHONE??? I was, once again, shocked, and wanted to shake him right off that bike and tell him I didn't get a cell phone until I was 15 and in high school. Who does he have to text and what do you have to talk about at 10 years old? While you are riding your bike?

Today's kids are out of control and it makes me not even want one! My hypothetical five year old will probably one day be telling me, while he/she is messaging on their Blackberry, that I have gained weight and really need to start counting my calories and lose a few pounds. If you do have children, at least make them play outside and attempt to embrace being a kid for as long as they can. They'll also burn calories while running around outside. If you have a child under 10 and they have a cell phone, SHAME on you!!! I wouldn't pay for the phone bill and I would make them get a job, which = breaking child labor laws.

No comments: