Or so I thought.
John dropped me off me at aiport around 3p (my flight was at 5p).
Hugs-kiss-see you in a week!
John texts me when he gets back to our house: IT IS SLEETING.
I gaze out the window the airport. It is indeed.
Our flight is pushed back a hour, but we board around 5:30p. It's a commuter plane, so it is not very big at all.
We sit.
I get hot and start shedding my coat, scarf, and sweater. Tight, hot places overwhelm me now more than they used to.
I look out the window and notice a big truck. What is that truck doing?
The man beside me explains they are de-icing the wings.
WTF?
I explain to him that I don't think I'm very comfortable with that.
Now my attention is fully on the little truck and I start to want my momma.
Finally, after a hour of sitting on the runway, the pilot says we heading back to the gate. Thank God, because I'm in a full sweat. That's how I react to stressful situations, I sweat like a mother.
Once off the plane, they immediately cancel the flight. I call John and instruct him to head my way, I'm going to rebook myself and get my bag.
FYI-it's about 7pm now.
John calls back a few minutes later.
JOHN: It's bad, the road is solid ice. The bug won't make it up the hill on Alford. I'll spare you the details, but the car slid backwards all the way down. The car is fine though. I'm about to try the Navigator.
ME: Ugh...ok.
A few mintues pass. My phone rings again.
JOHN: The Navigator won't even make it out of the driveway.
ME: Ok. Well call Mack, he has 4 wheel drive.
I am refusing to accept John can't come get me.
We can't get Mack. He finally texts me that he is stranded in Alex City.
The airport was crazy-people everywhere, including dejected looking Auburn fans. I felt horrible for them. I have stopped a few strangers and asked if they are heading towards the Bluff Park area. They aren't. The cabs aren't running. The only thing I see running are airport shuttles. I promptly hop on one to the Holiday Inn. At least it will have a bar, I tell myself, as Bhm's had shut down (of all things to close!). I make friends with a grandmother named Ruth and pair myself up with her. She tells me the Denver airport gives free food and blankets. Wish we were there at this point.
The Holiday Inn has no rooms but they do have a buffett. See below. It was picked over.
I was in such disbelief at the state of my affairs that I never really got mad. It was too unreal to be snowed in, in Birmingham, ten minutes from my house. I set my FB status that I am looking for a willing driver of a 4wheel drive vehicle to come save me. John Perry (Ashley Grace's boyfriend) even attempts to get down his street and sweet Ryan Nast was on standby (Landon's fiance). I loved them for it.
Ruth and I are now parked in chairs, sipping house wine, when the bar announces last call.
WTF.
Not good.
I run and get Ruth and I another glass.
I text John: I NEED TO JUST ACCEPT MY FATE.
Reality is setting in that I am going to sit in that chair all night without any wine.
A elderly black gentleman runs by me. "HEADING TO DA HOUSE!" he hollers.
I sprint after him.
"Do you have a cab?"
He tells me he does, but he is heading to Roebuck.
I follow him out into the snow/sleet. A minivan is sitting there. I stick my head in.
PLEASE COME BACK AND TAKE ME TO ALFORD AVE!
The cabbie looks at me and says to call him in 30 minutes and he'll see what he can do but it's going to cost me. (I would have paid him anything). Ok, will do.
A glimmer of hope, the lighthouse in the storm, the light at the end of the tunnel...whatever you want to call it.
I retreat to my chair and wait 30 mintues, call and leave a message.
Clarence calls me back. He's coming for me--he's about 15 minutes away.
FIST PUMP!
I call John and excitedly report my status, and he wearily tells me to be careful. He sounds a little freaked out, but is supportive.
I have all my stuff and like a puppy in a pound, I am at the door looking for Clarence. A rando guy notices my rings and says "You must be a newlywed." I look at him, "Well, I guess I am-got married in August." He says his wife isn't concerned if he gets home. I think to myself that is his fault, then!
Clarence pulls up. Overjoyed, I hope in and off we go. Clarence is confident, and he launches in to stories from the Blizzard of 93 and he was the only cab running then too. I feel confident too. Let's do this, Cdawg.
Yall, it was bizzare. We get on I20 and it's us, me and my rouge cabbie, and maybe 4 other fools.
The road is sugar white and there are no lanes now. Clarence points out this is good, he can move where he needs to--that snow settling like that over the ice is good-gives us more traction. Awesome, I reply. He says you have to just glide, give a little gas, and never hit the brakes. Hitting the brakes is the worst thing you could ever do and the number one mistake people make. Clarence then launches into a story about being on the radio after the Blizzard of 93.
Once we got through downtown and got near the Oxmoor Exit--I started to get a little nervous. There were NO other cars and the road was starting to look more black. Clarence is really focused and we are "gliding" over bridges and he is telling me bridges are the worst. We are also starting to climb uphill and I am noticing abandoned cars alongside the road.
I'm truly nervous now--gripping the "Oh Shit Handle" in the backseat, only letting ago to respond to John's texts to update him on where I am. It was so DARK outside and treacherous. It had started to sleet again. Clarence is getting nervous about making it back to the airport side of town.
We finally see the Alford Ave exit. I exhale. I'd been holding my breath. We pass an abandoned BMW on the exit and hang a left. We make it to my driveway and John met me at the cab.
It was 12:30am. Overall this had been a 9 and 1/2 hour ordeal. I had to hand it to Clarence, we never slid once. He was a pro. I couldn't thank him enough and I was SO glad to be home.
Here we are now on Tuesday, and I am still in Birmingham. I'm in my PJs watching the Weather Channel currently. I just found out I'm not flying out til Monday. That means...
I'm a stay at home wife this week!
Next Up-Snow Day 2011
WAR EAGLE! So proud to be an Auburn Tiger!
5 comments:
That story had me in stitches laughing so hard. You have a unique way of telling a story!
My goodness! What an adventure. Glad Clarence got you home safely!
I am curious as to how much the cab cost???
The cab cost $50 and I tipped him $10!!
Lacey and I talked several times throughout the day and night and she knew better than tell me she was about to take this WILD RIDE WITH THE CABBIE, so I found out via text after she got home. GOSH...do you ever stop worrying about the children even after they marry? I'm glad it was John she was texting along the way, not me! Mom's panic, but so thankful she got home to the hubby safe and sound. Love you Lacey!
Post a Comment