I went to The Birmingham Humane Society's website, http://www.gbhs.org, and discovered that there were dogs rescued from a puppy mill farm in Cullman back in December. There were several Shih Tzus and Pekingeses, all around two years old or so. It broke my heart! Being completely irrational and impractical, I went to the human society on my lunch break today, just "to look." They are so precious and I am a total softie-I am not a good "looker," by the way. The lady at the front desk told me they look so much better than when they first came in that it is unreal. They were originally $250, but now they are $100. They brought in forty something dogs and now there are under ten left! It makes me happy to know that there are some big hearted people here in Birmingham.
I was very impressed with their new facility, it was so nice and you can tell the people there really care for these animals. While I was standing and looking in the window at the mill dogs, trying to decide how I could manage to get all of them, I felt as though I was being stared at. I glanced to my left and imagine my shock to find a huge, black Great Dane peeking at me from around the corner. He was Mona's twin! He had the exact same markings as her, and he was NOT in a kennel. Basically, Eddie had just tee teed and found me. He runs amuck at the society and follows one of the employees around, who is his favorite, and hangs out in office. Just like a Great Dane to think they are human and do not have to follow rules! He was adorable, and was probably there because someone purchased a Great Dane who had no idea what a big responsible they are and how much time it takes to train one properly. He even leaped around like Mona! John was quick to inform me that Woodbrook is not big enough for Mona AND Eddie, despite my pleadings.
If you are in the market for a dog, please consider the mill puppies and Eddie (who is only $75). Due to my traveling, I'm not sure I could honestly take one of the mill puppies, although I'll probably keep trying to talk myself into it. You can tell Eddie is full blooded and they said he is only around a year old. If you have ever thought about a Great Dane, consider Eddie! (Great Danes also usually cost between $500-$1,000 so you'd be getting a good deal!)
No comments:
Post a Comment