Pages

Friday, March 20, 2009

Does the American Dream Still Exist?



Last night I was fortunate enough to be invited to dinner at Katie Beth's, which was delicious, of course. While chatting over wine, I absentmindedly flipped through the latest issue of Vanity Fair and I stopped at an article that sough to discuss and analyze the concept of the American Dream. I didn't read the article, as I was visiting with a friend, but I scanned the pages and was very taken with the Norman Rockwell style photographs depicting 1950s era American families. They were camping, moving into a new house, hanging out on the water...it was quite beautiful and evoked a certain sense of nostalgia, which was certainly the message and intent of the pictures. The article was questioning whether or not the American Dream has dissolved, given our current economic situation, or if Americans themselves have simply set goals for themselves that are unattainable or that do not align with their reality.

In the 1950s, the American Dream was owning a home, the patriarch of the family having a steady, solid job, and the wife was a mother and homemaker. They took trips to the seaside, they did things as a family, and they seemed, well, happy. Today, the wife often works as well, but isn't the simple concept still the same? Shouldn't we still find pleasure in the simple things in life? Should it be so hard to be satisfied, or at the very least, grateful, with what you DO have and not what you would LIKE to have?

I have given this some thought in the past several hours, and I can't help but wonder if maybe this whole economic mess isn't part of some grand plan, scheme if you will, of a higher power, to bring us all BACK to the American Dream. To REMIND us of what is important and what it means to be an American. The American Dream isn't about having a second or third home, it's foundation is about buying and owning one home. It's about having a steady job that allows you to pay your bills on time, put food on the table, and provide for your family. It's the equal opportunity for everyone to get an education. It isn't about being able to buy your kids a BMW or send them on a summer long European adventure (all of which are nice things, by the way). Our society has become so materialistic and greedy and ambitious (not that ambition is a bad thing) that it has jaded us all, myself included.

It has taken me a long time to understand and come to terms with this. You see, at one time I wanted to be a lawyer. I went to law school and realized it wasn't for me. I was there for the wrong reasons. You see, I was attracted to the idea of the lifestyle that being an attorney could POTENTIALLY afford me. In the end, I realized, the hard way and the expensive way, that it was not what I was meant to do. That my talent lies elsewhere and that ultimately, if you pursue what you are good at, you will thrive and be both successful and happy. The things I am good at may never afford me that second or third home, or make me a millionaire, but I will certain have ONE home someday. And is it possible that that might be enough? Isn't one house all you can live and sleep in at one time? That's the American Dream, isn't it? Perhaps we all need to be watching LEAVE IT TO BEAVER episodes and learn a thing or two from the Cleavers.

In conclusion, the American Dream is not dead, my friends, not at all. We have simply forgotten what the Dream is all about. I know a lot of us are going through hard times, and it is scary and maybe you feel alone and desperate. You are not alone, however, and you have to find a way to survive. We will all come out of this on top, and better for it, I believe. For in the end, if you have your family, friends, wits about you, and the desire to get out of bed every day and not only work hard, but do what you have to do to keep your head about the water, you ARE the American Dream.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Lacey,

I'm so proud of you! Your articles are so beautiful and true. Keep thinking outside the box and your dreams will come true.

I love you!
Mom

Lacey said...

thx MOM!

Katie Beth Owens said...

Good article Lacey! And thanks for the shout out about dinner the other night - can't wait to have you and John over again. Keep up the blogging!