
As you now know, John bought a house last week and is now undergoing the ever so fun, and potentially expensive, task of filling his new house with furniture and decorative items. Being the thrifty minded-deal loving-trinket seeking (great adjective that George used)-freak show that I am, I took it upon myself on Friday to buy a copy of The Birmingham News and take a highlighter to the Yard Sale section of the classifieds. I've always heard you can find some fabulous stuff at these yard sales, especially in nicer neighborhoods like Mountain Brook. There were so many to choose from that I finally had to choose a few at random and print us some directions.
We were up at 6am, because the early bird gets the worm I always hear! We went to the first stop on our list, which was a yard sale on Pump House Road, which I knew to be a very nice street. We pulled up to this gorgeous house, complete with tennis courts in the back of it, and they had all of their items on display in their driveway. It was great and I had a good feeling about it. Wouldn't you know that these people had just sold their beach condo and that was what the majority of the items were from? Lamps, couches, chairs, odds and ends, and ONE fabulous six seater glass top table! The lady's husband confided that he really didn't want to part with it, but his wife said they no longer had a place for it. I was practically yelling BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT!
I don't think that John will mind my admitting that it took him only TWO Benjamins to cover that table, and it probably cost WELL over that when it was new! The chairs themselves were probably worth $300 collectively back in the day. Of course, I had my eye on EVERY other thing that lady had and I kept saying "Oooh we need this and Ooooh we need that," and poor John had to to get me out of there pretty quickly, but I KNOW deals when I see them! I had elected not to bring any cash of my own, hence the fact I tend to get out of hand. I could probably be categorized as a big shopper, but I DO shop for deals, but even the DEALS can add up!
It took us two trips to get the whole table and chairs home, and I had to help John carry in the glass top and it was SO heavy. I made it up the deck stairs to the back door before my grip finally slipped. I stayed with my end down to the ground, so it didn't hit, shatter, and cut us both to pieces. Luckily, John didn't get TOO mad at me-I mean, I was trying and I did recover and make it to the base with it!
All in all, GREAT find and what a deal! I highly recommend devoting a Saturday morning to yard sales for anyone wanting to update or spruce up their home on a budget. We will DEFINITELY be doing this again soon and if anyone wants to come with us, just holler at me!
No comments:
Post a Comment