Pages

Monday, May 18, 2009

Weekend Junkin'

I thought everyone might be interested in the latest news and misadventures regarding mine and John's new hobby of junkin'...as in early morning scouring of yard sales and estate sales. You do remember the kitchen table post, I'm sure.

The weather was wet and rainy all weekend, but the wee hours of Saturday morning were dry. It was a last minute decision and we pulled up the classifieds online and found several sales going on not too far from John's house. We downed some coffee and off we went. Needless to say, three or four stops later, we had not made any big purchases, but John had received a broken leaf blower for free (which he did fix! Gotta love a handy man!), a gardening pick (for when we get aggressive in his yard), and a roll of gutter wire (I think?). Our last stop was an estate sale in Vestavia, which was fun, since EVERYTHING in the house is up for grabs. We had to get a number and get in line. We kept getting tickled because we were the youngest people there, but what the heck--we've caught got on early! Also, watch out for old ladies at these things, they will KNOCK you down. They just elbow you out of the way, because they are old and they can, and they know you aren't going to say one word to them!

Anyways- it was a little sad, in a way, because estate sales are usually in a recently deceased elderly person's home. This one was even selling a hospital bed, which I felt was a little creepy. I told John I would NOT be ok with strangers running through a family member of mine's home, just grabbing stuff. That is why these people had hired someone to handle it for them.

It is funny how you are going through someone's things you do not know, but you can draw plenty of conclusions about them. This person was an Auburn fan, as there was Auburn memorabilia and old Gloms everywhere. They had a ton of old records and lots of books. There were about ten fishing rods and lots of cookbooks. There was some really nice furniture, and two vanity sets, which were lovely. They had two full sets of china, which would be a fantastic buy, especially if it was a vintage pattern and you fell in love with it.

OH and they had a restaurant size coffee decanter. I was feeling it, but John said if I ever came over to his house with something like that, it was going straight in the trash. I tried to explain that when I host brunches I would TOTALLY use it. What can I say? I have a little bit of Blake Shaffer in me. We had a movie theater size popcorn maker once, and a keg-orator. We have a tendency to end up with crazy stuff sometimes due to spontaneous and irrational decisions. This is why folks like us need a John or a Linda to keep an eye on things.

In conclusion, it is hard to go in stores now. John agreed-what the heck is going on with paying full price for anything???

PS. Go see Angels & Demons, it is a great movie! Put M&Ms in your popcorn.

No comments: