Pages

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

MD 2009-the Play by Play

Memorial Day is my favorite holiday. It is the official first weekend on the lake in which we kick of summer. It is a reunion of the best sorts between old friends.




Before MD 09 could really begin, I had to get Little Blake graduated and sent off to the Sandpiper in Panama City, Florida. Really the only way to go, folks! I'm afraid Auburn isn't ready, but hopefully he is, after attending Camp War Eagle this week.

After graduation, the family ate a late dinner at Cecil's. Jessica and Deidra were also there enjoying a few casual cocktails. After all, it was the first night of MD 09, and people we still moseying into town.

John was up the street at a party for Tom Goree and his bride-to-be, Riley. I went and joined him for a bit after Cecil's. After flying in from the west coast and attending graduation, I was slowly running out of steam. It was still fun, seeing some old faces, but I retired early. John, however, did not retire early. Perhaps that would make a nice guest post, as it is not my story to tell!

I caught up on some much needed sleep that night and ventured down to John's lake house Saturday morning. It was cloudy, and raining off and on, which proved to be the trend the entire weekend. It is the first MD I can remember in which I did not get tan. Yes, it was slightly depressing, but I refused to let it "dampen" a good time, no pun intended.




The crew came down to John's where the girls visited and took crazy pictures. The boys played horseshoes, beverages were consumed, and a good time was had by all.




John and I, along with his parents, then attended Tom Goree's wedding at Church in the Pines, with a reception following at his house. It was quite lovely, and it didn't rain at all.



Sunday was the big day. We didn't care what the weather was doing, we were getting on a boat. The crew therefore assembled at the Bain Family Fun House. I arrived a tad later than I originally intended, one must rest after an evening involving an open bar, and took verbal bashings from the likes of Brittany and Bess (who are rarely early for anything) because I had originally promised to kick the day off at 9am. No bother, the Gin Bucket was mixed and there was a bottle of Firefly (sweet tea vodka) already opened. This felt suspiciously dangerous, but on MD, caution is always thrown to the wind and one must indulge what feels good at the time.




Brittany showed everyone how to surf behind the Mastercraft. It was very neat, but nothing I wanted to try at the time. I am not the most athletic person you've ever seen, in fact the word "klutz" is quite fitting, and things like that usually take me a whole summer to master. I took advantage of the next drop off, while others stayed to continue this new sport. They weren't gone long because a monsoon came upon them.

After consuming a few bags of tasty Doritos, the crew decided it was time to let history repeat itself and go to go to Uncle Larry's. Uncle Larry is only Brittany's uncle, but everyone calls him Uncle Larry. Uncle Larry has a rope swing, high dive, and a crazy high dock that we like to run off of at top speed. Exhilerating is a great way describe it! This excited everyone and we loaded up, Gin Bucket in tow. Brittany made sure we all had some crazy shades and one life jacket per person. We are law abiding boaters, we even had a DD--thank you Jackson Lilly (yes, I said Jackson Lilly).



I had said all day that I wasn't getting in the water, it was too cold. Once at Uncle Larry's, I took one look at that swing and high dock, and it was over. I caved like the weakling that I am. I got off the boat and ran right off the high dock. It was pure fabulousness! I did the swing, and then assisted in handing the swing off to the next persons. Brittany and I even jumped on the swing together, just to see if we could. I also took a paddle boat ride with Jessica, Alana, and Deidra. I did a few back flips off the high dive (not to self: you are not 18. I was SO sore the next day).



The ride back to Brittany's was entertaining as always. Once we arrived back at the Bains, I noticed that Jessica was still dry. Weird. So we threw her in, or maybe we man handled her. King of the Dock ensued and poor Britt dislocated her elbow, due to some rough housing with John. The girls then thought it would be cute to all get on the diving board at the same time...and...do crazy jumps off of it... Once again, weird.



We downed hot dogs and hamburgers before venturing on to the concert at the Amphitheater, where Marshall Tucker was playing. I think we all left a trail of belongings behind us. Poor Mrs. Debbie!

The concert was fun, although everyone was a bit tired from the day's festivities...Monday was a "do your own thing" day.

Oh MD, I love to see you come and hate to watch you go!

Til Next Year!

2 comments:

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica said...

I was so man handled. Even Deidra couldn't save me. MD always makes for a good time.