Pages

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Paint With Worms

Obviously, if you know me or read the blog enough, you've realized that I have totally tapped into what I hope will become a more artsy aspect of my being! I just love creative people, find them inspiring, and would like to be more like that. Anyways, I have signed up to take a four week art class with Beth Bradley here in Birmingham and tonight will be Class #2. Needless to say, I'm loving it! Maybe after tonight, I will take pictures of my two finished paintings and do a blog on them, just to showcase how I'm coming along :) I would like to be considered "good enough" to maybe sell some of them at some point for some extra moo-lah! (Times are hard, no?)

I think that before you are four years old, there are only a handful of memories that vividly stick with you, in the sense that you can close your eyes and imagine it as though you were standing there today. One of those memories for me is the day at First Presbyterian Day School (where my Mom and Alana's mom taught and Alana and I were students in the four year old program)where we painted with worms. REAL LIVE worms. We got to dip the worms in paint and then watch them crawl across our paper with complete and utter glea. I remember the yellows, reds, and blues plastered across my paper. As they crawled, the worms mixed the paints and soon you had greens and purples too. Such masterpieces--maybe it fell into "mixed media?" I am sure that today that might fall into the "cruelty to animals" category for some, but let's face it, the best thing these worms had going was to be eventually eaten by catfish in Lake Martin, so I do not feel bad. I just remember thinking that it was the most awesome thing ever! I was LOVING grabbing those worms out of the dirt filled containers and drowning them in my paint.

Perhaps this was the beginning of greatness? A little Jackson Pollock splatter painting but with worms? Only time shall tell!

1 comment:

AC said...

lacey, i can totally picture you, now, all grown up, diving into the dirt for worms to go painting with :) you should totally teach art classes to little kids!!