Going to the movies is one of my favorite things to do. However, it currently costs $9.25 to go see a night showing in Birmingham. Is that not ridiculous? Not to mention the fact that is impossible to go to the movie and not want a bag of popcorn and a coke. Add on another $7 or $8. When there is a movie I want to go see, John and I now have to have a discussion as to whether or not it's a "Nine Twenty Five" movie and if we can wait until it is out on video. I am not going to lie to you, my readers, and say that I am beneath sneaking in some canned soft drinks or a bag of M&Ms to add to my popcorn (DELICIOUS, if you do not do that). You have to improvise when times are hard, or when they ARE NOT hard and you are simply aware of the fact you are getting ripped a new one. It is more economically feasible to go to a matinee on the weekend. When I was in college, I would go to the matinee during the week in Auburn, and was pretty fantastic. It was even better when my Dad rode down and went with me!
*Katie Beth-if you are reading this-maybe we should do that sometime this weekend and go see He's Just Not That Into You, I think it will save us around $4 or so, as opposed to going next week.
One of the best discoveries I have made in Birmingham is the $1 Movie. YES-the $1 MOVIE. There is a Carmike Cinema in Hoover that shows movies that have been on at the theater for maybe two or three months and it is ONLY $1! I've been once so far and it was great. Sure, the seats are old, there was an odd smell (but you got used to it) and it was $1! I highly recommend. The time I went, I was looking around and noticed that there were a lot of families in there. I was just thinking about how, even if these families happened to be down on their luck, here is a movie theater where they can still treat their kids to a night out. It made me smile, because this is AMERICA and we love going to the movies, and it seems like one treat, one escape that shouldn't be so hard to attain.
I'll leave you with my Top 10 Favorite movies and my above rant:
(in no particular order)
1. Steel Magnolias
2. The Little Mermaid
3. Wedding Crashers
4. The Notebook
5. Titanic
6. The Departed
7. Gone With the Wind
8. Big Jake
9. Legends of the Fall
10. Christmas Vacation
No comments:
Post a Comment