Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Staying on Trend

Jessica and I have both been in the market for new fall nail polishes in the past week.  This is what I went with (these are not my hands, by the way)




Romanticism Ruby...probably for my toes, to promote thoughts of Dorthy's Ruby Red Slippers as I am going to Kansas next week.




Brown is always good for fall...this one has a little shimmer.


I've also enjoyed the discussion over at Stage Fright Jitters this morning regarding cowboy boots with dresses.  Feel free to visit Jess over there and chime in. 


Post college it becomes more difficult to know what is "on trend," especially when you are working that 8 to 5.  We are at that strange, 25 year mark where you just have to talk it out.  Where sometimes you go in F21, and you KNOW certain things are too young for you, or too trendy, and you freak out and retreat to J Crew, with words like "timeless," "cardigan," and "classic" running through you head.  I like a good trend as much as the next gal, but I have my limits.  For instance, I don't know how I feel about the lace up boots that every one of my 'mags are pushing:




Kinda gross here.  Maybe because they are gray?  Noo it's probably the laces.




I mean, are you camping or going to da club in these?  I'm confused and thinking about high heel tennis shoes that were always wrong and scary.  I have genuine LL Bean ones, and I wear them when at the lake in the winter, or I loan them to Bess when she goes snow skiing.  They do not have heels...  God, am I losing my edge?  Is this a modern take on 90s grunge?  Do you pair these with a flannel shirt and a mini skirt?  I did wear some LL Bean ducks to school in 4th grade.  It was cool in the AC back then.





I'm still not buying these, even if Miley Cyrus wore them on the beach in the Last Song, in black--which I thought looked dumb.  Are these cute?  I had something similar in red, in 8th grade.  AND they did come out of the Victoria Secret catalog.  That was over 10 years ago.  Jess, maybe we should post on what we DO like.  Are we cynical, in our prime? 

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Maybe our age has made us a bit cynical, but I like to think we've simply come into our own... we know what we like and don't have to jump on every bandwagon!

I am loving your nail polish choices. I ended up going with a really cool grey color last weekend and it was HOT! Lots of compliments.

Not going to rock a lace up boot or a 90's throw back anytime soon.

Elizabeth said...

I'd like to chime in...

Perhaps I'm speaking out of bitterness because my petite legs can't pull off the lace-up boot, but I don't like those. I'm a JCrew girl through and through. Maybe a bit too preppy for my own good. The lace-up over-the-knee duck boot is SCARY! I wonder if those are functional. Can you, say for instance, go fly fishing in those? Remember when the pink Timberlands were kinda in with the ghetto rap crowd. Have we progressed - I think not.

And no, I don't think it's cynicism, I vote with Jessica in the whole coming into our own thing.

Hadley said...

I'm SO conflicted this year with the fashions. I go between loving that a more minimalistic look is back, and hating that everything in store just looks so BLAH ("oh... it comes in black or grey or vomit brown... yay"). I guess it's just a matter of finding "your" look, and trying to remain true to that regardless of what the fashion mags are telling you to do ("pssst... hey Had, spend all of your savings on ugly grandpa sweaters this fall!!!") I say... lace up boots? Dumb. It's too soon for a 90s throwback (grunge was NEVER sexy). Stupid bows OR cowboys w/ summer dresses? NO! But more $100 cardigans from J.Crew? Where do I sign up?

Final note. This is my favorite site for real life fashion: http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com

Lacey said...

Such great insights!!