Pages

Monday, June 22, 2009

The 80s are back, baby

While eating at my grandmother's yesterday, we somehow got on the topic of bathing suits. My grandmother, Syble Johnston/Granny, said she thought she had a few I could wear, particularly a black two piece. Hm...are some of you skeptical right now? Well, you shouldn't be if you know Gran!

*Side note: My mother and grandmother are both pretty hot. I have to give it to them. I only hope to look like them at their age. I won't list their ages, since they are avid readers and I want good birthday presents this year.

The black two piece is adorable. It is strapless and has fringe layering on the top and bottom. It could be early 80s, but it looks more late 70s to me. IT IS SO CUTE! I'll have to post a picture soon. It fit for the most part, but I could probably have it taken up a little in the top. I also came away with several cute one pieces circa 1980 in neon colors, that actually still had a little sand in them from Gran's last beach trip. There were actually a lot of similar swimsuits in one of the spring issues of Vogue. The 80s are back, baby! Let's hope that perms and scrunchies are NOT back though. They are trying to bring back the shoulder pads right now...and I'm not really sure how I feel about that.

I got home and proceeded to get into Mom's stash and found ANOTHER cute black bikini. It has the bra top shape to it (I mean, it is the same bathing suit for $80 in J Crew right now). I am so excited.

While searching vintage clothing on Etsy, believe it or not, I found one of Gran's exact swimsuits that I came home with listed for sale for $28! I got so tickled:



So, gals, I suggest raid your Mom/Grandma's closet ASAP. Especially if they are pack rats, or you'll miss out!

1 comment:

AlleyJ said...

You are just to much to handle... I can't wait to see you in this get-up. You would be able to pull this off. I'm slightly jealous.