Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Happy 19th Bro!



Many years ago, on February 17, 1991, I became a big sister.  I was excited about my big role, to be sure, but skeptical in that "I've been an only child for almost six years and don't want to share the spotlight" kind of way.  The day he came home from the hospital was the day I learned how to ride my bike without training wheels and also the day I took to sleeping by myself, however reluctantly, because that is what big girls do!  Growing up, we fought like cats and dogs, as only little boys and girls can, but I was pretty protective.  I could hardly stand to watch him get even a well deserving spanking.  I didn't want anyone else pushing him around, because that was my job as far as I was concerned, and one I took seriously.  I should also mention that we both went through childhood "fat" stages before puberty, and should he get any ideas about adding embarassing photos 3rd grade school picture  to my wedding slide show, I will undoubtedly be fully able to retailiate.

Top 2 Favorite Blake Stories, both of which involve him getting locked in or out:


1.  When he was about 4 years old, he and Mom were in the Piggly Wiggly.  She lost him and frantically looked up and down all the aisles...She finally discovered that he had locked himself in the freezer sectionals of the frozen food aisles, and was waving to her from behind the glass with a big smile on his face.  HUGE spanking ensued.


2.  When Blake was 15 and unable to drive, his good friend Kyle snuck out of his house, stole his grandma's car, and creeped over to our house to visit late one night.  Mom, already in bed but still awake, heard Blake get up and go out the front the door.  She got up and looked out the window.  Blake is in the driveway in his boxers talking to his friend Kyle.  Blake, in only his boxers, gets in the car with his friend Kyle and they sped away into the night.  Infuriated, Mom thinks "Ha--I'll show him" and gets our hideaway key, and promptly locks the door back.  Blake returns, however long later, and finds himself locked out.  Mom is up, watching from the window and watches him frantically run back and forth around the house, trying to get in.  He did have his cell phone, and was helplessly and desparately calling friends.  I had missed calls that night too.  It was cold out, and Mom watched him huddle around the dying embers of our outdoor fire pit, trying to stay warm.  In a final act of cruelty, Mom goes outside and sneaks up behind him:  "WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE YOU DOING!!"  Scaring the poor freezing creature to death.  Blake was grounded, I believe, but it was so funny, I don't think any punishment was enforced. 

Physically, he may be bigger than I am today, but I will always be the big sister.  I'm really quite proud of the way he has turned out, and I'm pleased to say that we have ended up becoming the best of friends.

No comments: