It is dreary outside and I wish I was lying on the couch reading and listening to some good jams. So I'll give you a book report and recap of wedding dress shopping.
A Book Report:
I've finished The Help, and I hope that you have gone out and purchased it. I am now halfway through South of Broad (by Pat Conroy, who signed my book, which I detailed in an earlier post) and I highly encourage you to pick that one up as well. I've never read one of Conroy's books until now, but South of Broad is so beautifully descriptive that I can't wait to read them all. He describes Charleston, South Carolina with such detail, and paints the city as though it is a living breathing person. I find myself re-reading paragraphs because they are just so well written and I am jealous that John is most likely going there on his bachelor party! I told him, I really want to go now that I'm reading this book, but sadly, John says I don't get to go on the bachelor party.
Wedding Dress Shopping=Intense
I went wedding dress shopping this past Saturday, narrowed it down to two, and then crumbled under the pressure. I did not break down and cry, but I may have stomped my feet like a small child in exasperation. I had tried on about 20+ dresses in 6hrs and had the battle wounds to prove it (nice big scratch on my side from scratchy tulle that took me down) I'd embraced being naked around a strange woman helping me in and out of my dresses...it was overwhelming. I usually make decisions fairly well, and pride myself on that. I guess it is a good thing that I thought both looked good on me! I did figure out that I am not a full lace kind of gal. One dress was WAY too small and we could not even get it zipped over my bottom and it was hilarious, I'm talking about a hunk of hiny hanging out. I know that the shop assistant thought we were crazy we were laughing so hard. I said, I think I'd like this one if I could get on! Oh and I tried on this one dress, the Va voom dress I was calling it, because it had a train that would have made Princess Diana's dress look shabby. I liked it, but had to rule it out because I didn't feel like I could low on "Shout" in it. That is a good determinant, ladies, whether or not you can get low on "A little bit softer now..."
Needless to say, I'm taking a few days to mull this one over. I believe I went into it putting to much pressure on myself, waiting for a fireworks display to go off over my head once I found "THE ONE." I suppose it is comparable to meeting the man you are going to marry. You ask married women, "How did you know he was THE ONE?" and they smile sweetly and respond that "You just do." Now what is that vague answer supposed to mean to a person still on the quest for their great love? You want more guidance! However, that is all there is: "You just do," and I suppose I'll apply that mentality to the dress search!
Also, have you ever tried to start a registry on line at Target? That may be more overwhelming that rounding up addresses and formal names on a guest list. Or at least a close tie!
1 comment:
This post is so true! 1. I love South of Broad and glad you do too. I live in Charleston and found myself "in" the story.
2. Dress shopping overwhelmed me! I did have a nervous breakdown because there were just too many options. But eventually, I just knew and went with one!!
Post a Comment