Friday night found John and I chilling out in the den, totally taking it easy, eating the delicious pasta he had whipped up, as I attempted to "carbo load" for Saturday morning's race. We were watching television and Mona was in her usual place, on her bed sprawled out in front of the fire. Suddenly, she was on her feet and "slinking" towards her dog door. This "slinking" was something new, and John and I looked at each other, puzzled. She crept towards her dog door and stopped, in a sort of pointing stance. It was weird. John attempted to sneak up behind her and scare her, but of course she heard him. He made her come lie back down and we laughed about Mona's slinkage.
John joins me on the couch and for the next few minutes we are just sitting there, hanging out--when all of a sudden, the dog door goes BAM and is swinging back and forth!
"WHAT IS THAT!!??" John screams at the top of his lungs and lunges towards the door, with Mona in hot pursuit.
My heart dropped, I didn't know what was going on, and I took a flying leap from the couch to the chair--which I proceed to leap over and was in hot pursuit towards the bedroom--with full intent to lock the door and hide under the bed. Fight or Flight, right? I was FLIGHT. However, I stopped, because I realized I didn't know what I was running from, worried I was leaving John to the madness of whatever was outside, and rounded back as John yelled out:
"IT'S A RACCOON!!"
He and Mona are now outside and he's screaming "GET IT, MONA!" at the top of his lungs. I run outside, my heart still pounding and hands shaking.
"JOHN-WHAT IF IT HAD COME IN?! WHAT THEN?! UN-cool, THIS IS SO UNCOOL...OH MY GOD..."
John had actually seen the little critter's head pop in (I didn't look up fast enough)!
I have to hand it to Mona, she was on guard and we didn't take her seriously. Usually she is just one big pile of lazy, sleeping probably 20 hours a day. I now feel better about her guard dog abilities, but I just hope Ricky Raccoon isn't chilling on my couch as we speak. The dog door is automatic, triggered by a censor on Mona's collar, but that night we had it on "unlock."
In conclusion, after googling--"raccoon" and "dog door," please see the below video. Dear God.
http://www.tressugar.com/Raccoon-Burglar-415886
Any more crazy dog door stories out there? Enlighten me, please!

2 comments:
Lacey,
That is crazy! I would have jumped several sofa's and chair's and never looked back.
Glad Mona is taking care of business in The Howell household!
Love,
Mom
A raccoon practically lives in our basement! When I say "a" I mean several! We have the dog door that locks but they are still in there all the time! If I walk in, they just look at me and walk slowly back out! How do they know they want to come in??
Post a Comment