Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

A Very Howell Christmas

I rolled over Sunday morning and excitedly shook John as hard as I could:  "WE GOTTA DRINK COFFEE then GO GET OUR TREE!!"  

As my childlike enthusiasm rained down upon him, John covered his head and fearfully began calling me "Little Ma." 


We ventured to Wal Mart for the essentials first.  I didn't know how many strands of lights we would need.  

John:  Two outta do it.


Lacey flags down matronly looking woman:  "Mam'--how many boxes of lights does an average tree need?"

Stranger:  Do you like a lot of lights?


Lacey:  OH YEAH


Stranger:  5 or 6 then


Score.  Always look to the Mom types when in doubt.  I may never get flagged down in my 40s in Wal Mart...but that's ok.

One festive Christmas candle, one box of apple cider mix later (among the groceries and self tanner)--we were heading to the Boy Scout Christmas Tree lot.  I wish I had snapped a picture of all the rope those boys tied on the car.  John could not open his driver side door and had to crawl through.  It got weird.




Mona's new festive red collar

John placing our REAL tree in its awesome Robinson Iron stand.  (Thank you, Mr. Scotty!) 

Is it not the cutest little tree you ever did see?

As we are being festive, we are giving the real tree a go.  Revisit this intense war debate with George Stegall back in 2008.  Although we did not go chop it down ourselves, we went real this year.

John made the cider, put the Southern Christmas music on, and we got to work.  I keep coming back to the word "festive," but that is what it was.  Mom worried for me in regards to the lights, but I did ok.  I did start breathing hard once and John came in for the assist.  I think the trick is to not let your tree get too big.  More than 5 or 6 strands of lights can take you down and make you pull out the vodka.




So awesome.  I bought the tree topper last year at Tuesday Morning for $5.

Flash Off.

All we are missing is a skirt, and I think I'm going to just wrap some burlap down there.


We have our own version of the Elf on a Shelf.  His name is Eric, he is vintage, and he lives in our tree.



We also have a picture of Ma in her Mrs. Claus get up in our tree.  She was so wild.  She used to call Santa right in front of me and tell him what I wanted.  I miss her.

I also used my Christmas china for the first time ever last night!  I don't have full sets of anything else but my Christmas china.  What does it all mean?



Yes, I eat ketchup on my steak when I'm not in a fancy eating establishment.  Judge me if you want to. 


6 comments:

KatiePerk said...

Your tree looks pretty!!

Elizabeth said...

Lovely tree! I'm about to post my tree pic, too. I need a topper!! I love the tree stand - way to go Robinson Iron!

Linda said...

Lacey,

You and John's tree is beautiful and I think you did a fabulous job decorating. Where is the house divided ornament? I love the vintage elf we found in Ma's Christmas box. She would be so proud of you for displaying such a classic! Merry Christmas to The Howell's!

Kalan Boddie said...

Lacey I loved the tree and most of all Ma's ornament.I know she would love it as well.Cant wait to see yall over Christmas..Love Yall and hope you and John have a wonderful first Christmas as a family..

Kristen said...

I love the tree! I was a bit worried when you said 6 strands of lights =)

Lacey said...

thanks yall!