Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Dear Guys: thank me later

I love and appreciate all the gift guides/ideas on blogs.  When they pop up in my Reader, I immediately click on them, because "yay for fresh material!"  And I sigh in relief at the consensus that men are nearly impossible to excite and shop for.  I guess if you run around naked with bows strategically taped to you, you might get a reaction.  

I don't want to do a post with things I've already purchased or plan to get for people...  BUT, I do know that guys read the blog.  And guys sometimes need help.  I sent one guy friend, who shall remain nameless, a cute idea for his girl-it was not big, just a thoughtful stocking stuff type thing...and they responded with a grateful "Thanks, I need help on stuff like this."

I've spent years assisting my brother.  He always gets bonus points for creativity, not unlike his old English papers.  Although, his candy gig was all him.   

Alright fellas-you know the basics.  You can do jewelry just fine...if it sparkles, comes from Brombergs/Ware's/Saks etc; you probably scored.  Bonus points if you propose!  But...what else?  What do you put in her stocking?  You gave her earrings for her birthday that you are still paying on...

Here's some ideas, things I would like, things my friends like:

Sundance for more modest jewelry, like sterling silver or tourqouise:





Put some OPI (any rando nail salon in your neighborhood shopping mall) or Essie (Target or Walgreens) nail polish in the stocking:



I believe in the gifts at URBAN OUTFITTERS (AL boys, this is at the Summit).  Besides awesome clothes, they have tons of funny stuff.  They also have great scarves, hats, and jewelry.    They also sale vintage inspired record players and records, poloraid cameras/film, and the throw back head phones.  The trendy sales folks in there can assist you.  You can't lose in this store.


I mean--how awesome are tat fingerstaches?


And Bud sweaters??


And Zack Morris cases for your IPhone?
A bigger ticket item might be to get your girl some shoes.  She will be surprised by this, because, hello--who knew you knew what Tory Burch was?  I would go leopard, but you couldn't go wrong with black.  New Frye boots would be amazing too. 



Purses are great too.  Always a win.  Right now-the cool thing is to have a luxe looking leather tote.  Coach, Cole Haan, JCrew, Dooney&Burke, Fossil, Lucky Brand, Tory Burch are great, to name a few (and a Louis is always appreciated, but we aren't trying to break you here)...and I'll have you know TJ Max has some great looking leather bags in the $100-200 range.  I've had trouble finding a decent bag for UNDER a $100 in there.

 




Black and brown combo..huge win, because it goes with everything and is totally worth the $400.  ;)

Perhaps a Longchamp bag in carryone size?



This one might be random, but if she likes a good musicfest, picnics, or you guys lie outside together while you recite Emily Dickinson to her...I'd get her a Mexican wool blanket to lay on.  I've been hankering for one myself.  I almost bought one in this vintage shop...but there were cats galavanting around the store.  I'm allergic to cats and I felt certain they'd been hanging out on it :/ 





If she's adventurous, maybe a hot air balloon ride?  ( my brother did that one at my suggestion-God, I'm good)



Pajamas, love these Victoria Secret ones:





Other good ideas for her stocking:

-Cooking items--like fancy olive oil or basalmic vingears, a new spatuala, or wooden spoons
-Starbucks gift cards
-I tunes gift cards
-Dogeared Jewels
-Southwest gift cards
-Hanky Panky underwear

BOOKS:











Top Books from 2011

More fun stuff:

-a nice bottle of wine
-padded running socks
-candles
-design coffee table books
-concert tickets
-Wicked (it's a play, boys) is coming back to BHM
-tickets to watch Christmas movies at AL Theater (John and I are doing this one!)
-cool iphone/ipad covers
-facials/massage gift certificates
-boot socks (they are cute and are supposed to stick out over the boots)
-MAC make up Christmas packages (ie.  assorted lip glosses etc;)
-Nice workout clothes-Nike, Lululemon
-yoga or personal trainer packages (easy..if your girl packed on a few, this could be insulting)

-an original work of art-you need to know your girl's style for this one-but it would be incredibly special.  I can pass some local Birmingham artists names your way! 


My friend Leslie Martin's concrete bowls-$50-$100.  Even more gorgeous in person. 
Hope this helped a few lost souls this Christmas season!







3 comments:

Katie Beth Owens said...

Love it Lacey! Good recommendations! I hope by chance Brandon stumbles to your blog ;)

Hadley said...

I promise, when you open your Christmas present this year, I ordered it BEFORE you wrote this... I won't spoil the surprise anymore... I know how you feel about surprises :)

Lacey said...

Ahhh big Sis!!! You know me so well!! Kb I will send mr. O the blog ;)