Pages

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Recurrent Dreams

I am a big dreamer, in life and in bed. I certainly have had some dreams repeat themselves. Not always the exact same dream...but the same underlying themes have been there. The top three most recurrent dreams I have had in my life time:

1. I am flying.

2. I am naked in a public place (and unable to do anything about it)

3. There is a scary "bad" guy after me.

1. The flying dream is the best. It feels so real and it even gets my stomach in the dream when I go fast, or go up really high and dive down. Yes, I flap my arms like wings. I love these and wish I had one every night. I found a dream interpretation website and this is what it says about flying dreams:

"If you are flying with ease and enjoying the scene and landscape below, then it suggests that you are on top of a situation. You have risen above something. It may also mean that you have gained a different perspective on things. Flying dreams and the ability to control your flight is representative of your own personal sense of power."

"In reality, we do not have the ability to fly. Thus such dreams may represent that which is beyond our physical limitations. In your mind, you can be anybody and do anything. Another way of interpreting flying dreams is that these dreams symbolize your strong mind and will. You feel undefeatable and nobody can tell you what you cannot do and accomplish. Undoubtedly these dreams leave you a great sense of freedom."

Nice-I can deal with that.

2. The naked dreams...well, they are awkward, uncomfortable, and I usually wake up with slight anxiety. These dreams have occurred in various, random places, from Wal Mart to parties. Here is what I learned on this:

"Becoming mortified at the realization that you are walking around naked in public, is often a reflection of your vulnerability or shamefulness. You may be hiding something and are afraid that others can nevertheless see right through you."

"Nudity also symbolizes being caught off guard. Finding yourself naked at work or in a classroom, suggests that you are unprepared for a project at work or school."

I haven't had one of these lately, I guess because I am at an honest point in my life :) It's liberating, I suppose. It also said that if you are dreaming about being naked and proud of it--then it symbolizes your unrestricted freedom. Hm.

#3 is a true complex I have. I am a big, scaredy cat baby. I did not like living by myself when I was in Montgomery. I would lock the door to my bedroom and my connecting bathroom, just to give myself a good head start should anyone break in the house. I hate to sleep alone in a house or a hotel, I will often go sleep over at a friend's. The hotel has been an issue, since I travel by myself all the time. I often leave the bathroom light on in hotels and crack the door, so I am admitting to being scared of the dark at this point. Here is what I learned:

"Chase dreams often stem from feelings of anxiety in your walking life. The way we respond to anxiety and pressure in real life is typically manifested as a chase dream. Running is an instinctive response to physical threats in our environment"

"A more direct analysis of chase dreams is the fear of being attacked. Such dreams are more common among women than men, who may feel physically vulnerable in the urban environment. These dreams are inspired by fears of violence and sexual assault in which we are so over-exposed from the media. The violence that the media portrays magnifies our fears and how at risk we all are."

Well-that makes sense.

I've had a few dreams where I am back in high school, but I never go to class. It is weird because it is present day and I am working, but I have still not graduated. At the end of the dream, I become concerned that because I have not been going to class, does that mean I do not get to graduate? It is odd, I know, and may relate to some unsurpressed desire to go back to childhood/college when I had less responsibility and life was much more simple. Well--wouldn't you know the old dream website had an analysis for this one too:

"To dream about high school, refers to the bounds and friendships that you made while you were in high school. What spiritual lessons have you learned? The dream may also be telling you that you need to start preparing for the real world.

"To dream that you have to repeat high school, suggests that you are doubting your accomplishments and the goals that you have already completed. You feel that you may not be measuring up to the expectation of others. The dream may occur because some recent situation may have awakened old anxieties and insecurities. "

Well I'll be damned.

Last but not least: I dreamed I was attacked by a squirrel. It leaped onto me in a hotel room while I slept and if you are laughing, stop, because it was VERY real to me! Here is what having a squirrel in your dream potentially means:

"Squirrels also refers to the act of hoarding. It could either mean that you need to reserve something or it could indicate that you are retaining too much and need to learn to let go."

I have been hoarding and need to clean out alot of junk and clothes. I hope you found this as interesting as I did. Here is the website:

http://www.dreammoods.com/

No comments: