Pages

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Technologically inAdvanced

We live in the Information Age and technology has officially run a muck. Bill Gates has changed the universe and the US Postal System could one day be obsolete thanks to email. I do not know about all of you, but sometimes, I think it is all a bit much. I tried to think about one technological item that I COULD live without, and I would have to go ahead and say the Digital Camera.

I love my digital camera, and I am currently on my second one. It is super nice, and I use it all the time, but getting to view my pictures immediately has taken some of the fun out of it. Remember when you'd take your 35mm film in to get developed and you had no idea what to expect? It was so exciting to rush back into Wal Mart to get the pictures and see how they turned out. Sure, some money was wasted on the ones where someone closed their eyes or the dog jumped out of the frame last minute and you had no idea. Another downside to the digital camera is that it has made me SO lazy about getting pictures developed at all. I just upload them on to my computer and go on about my business.

I also do not get into using my computer for much other than the basics. In fact, if all mine did was internet, email, and hold picture files, that'd be fine with me. I think my phone etiquette is even a bit little awkward now because no one ever calls me, all I do at work is read and respond to emails. Email will eventually cause us to lose pleasure in human to human contact, if it hasn't already.

Techy stuff I do LOVE and probably COULD NOT live without: my cell phone and my I-pod. The I-pod is great, I love it, enough said. I couldn't do without my cell, but at the same time, when I want to be incognito, people call and don't understand why you don't answer or get back to them ASAP. I cut it off sometimes, when I just do not want to talk to anyone. Double edge sword I guess.

Techy thing I find most unfortunate is the Blackberry. It keeps you too connected in my opinion. I am probably alone on this one, because it is the trendy thing to have now, even among high school kids (sorry guys-you can just text and get over it). Yes, it is practical and often necessary for work purposes, but that is all I ever want it for: work purposes. In my personal life, if someone needs me bad enough, they know my number!

No comments: