Thursday, November 4, 2010
Vulcan 10K
I am running my first 10K this Saturday here in Birmingham--the Vulcan Run. A 10k is equivalent to 6.2 miles, in case the "k" throws you off. This is my last race before my first half marathon-- St. Judes in Memphis in December.
It has been a great fall--I'm in the best shape I've ever been in (best shape doesn't always equal skinniest, mind you ;) and I have discovered, for me personally, that the best way for me to maintain consistent work outs is to have an end goal that does not involve a scale. I have gained muscle weight during this, but I've lost inches. If you follow a training schedule, anyone can do it. It is so satisfying. Before August, I usually never ran more than two or two and half miles when I worked out. Truth.
I'm currently at 8 miles and will get up to 11 or 12 miles in the coming month.
If you are interested, here is the training I followed. Assuming I do not sustain any injuries, I plan to look ahead to the Mercedes Marathon in February. It's now or never!
I read the People magazine article on Portia de Rossie (Ellen DeGeneres' wife) regarding eating disorders and her new book. The truth is, if you crash diet, you are always going to gain the weight back. If you exercise regularly, you can eat what you want and you'll feel good. It is about creating a healthy lifestyle.
Here is a good Couch to 5K program too.
Anyone else running Vulcan?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Congrats! I hope to be at my "best shape ever" soon! ;) the picture is classic
That's awesome girl!! I am running in the Auburn Classic half marathon in January and then Mercedes in Feb. Let's train together! I want to see your long run routes. It's hard to plan stuff among all the hills of Bham--I try to stay away from those!!
Post a Comment