John came over to my parents' house one afternoon, in the early days of his courtship. It was still muggy and hot, much like it is now. I had gone into the house for some reason, leaving John outside my Dad and brother. Before I could get back outside, John pushed open the sliding door from the patio, leaned his head and called for me. He "had something for me."
I eagerly bounded to the door, thinking it must be a flower or something equally sweet. John's angelic expression gave nothing away and he had his hands behind his back, hiding what I knew must be a flower, because that would be super romantic.
"Close your eyes," he demanded.
I closed them, smiling all the while, and held my hand out.
John placed something in my hand...but it was not a flower stem.
It felt...rubbery.
And...and it was...moving. Odd, said my brain.
My eyes flew open and in my hand was the body of a garden snake, as John had been kind enough to indeed hold onto the head of the snake.
"AGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ................................................................................................................!" (read as the loudest, most blood curling scream you can imagine)
I ran back inside and quivered and quaked in the corner, pressing a bottle of vodka to my lips to ease the shakes and the stress from nearly being taken out by a 6 inch garden snake. (not really) It took awhile after that for John to regain my trust. I don't think I'll ever play the "hold out your hand with your eyes closed" game ever again. And I like surprises.
I hate nothing in this world more than snakes. It is a genuine fear and I will knock over old people and babies to save myself.
As you can see, the relationship endured. But barely.
1 comment:
:) I would have had the ebbie jeebies too. COUNTING DOWN LACEY!
Post a Comment